These carrot muffins, however, are made with simple, wholesome ingredients and are much more filling than a typical morning treat. Throw in a few slices of fresh avocado and piece or two of pastured bacon, and you’ve got yourself an complete meal. Make a big batch on Sunday night and enjoy easy breakfasts for the entire week.
Yield 12 Muffins
2 cups blanched almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of sea salt
1.5 tablespoons of cinnamon
1/4 cup raw honey (or maple syrup, if you prefer)
1/2 cup melted refined coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
1 teaspoon unfiltered apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
6 ounces shredded carrots
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 tin muffin pan with parchment baking cups. (I like If You Care ones best!)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine 2 cups of blanched almond flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, a pinch of salt, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon.
- Mix with your hands to break up any clumps in the almond flour and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat 2 eggs, 1/4 cup raw honey (or maple syrup, if you prefer), 1/2 cup of melted refined coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of almond extract, and 1 teaspoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar on medium (for me, about setting 4) until one solid color, about 2 to 3 minutes. The almond extract is optional, but I like it for the nutty taste it gives.
- Before you add the dry ingredients, add a heaping 2 tablespoons of pureed pumpkin. Mix for one minute more.
Add in the almond flour mixture and continue mixing until well-combined, about 2 to 3 minutes longer. Then, pour in 6 ounces of shredded carrots, 1/3 cup of raisins, and 1/2 cup of chopped hazelnuts. Feel free to use walnuts, pecans, or almonds instead of the hazelnuts, or leave out the nuts and raisins altogether.
With two large spoons, evenly distribute the batter among the 12 muffin tins. Bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean in the center, about 30 minutes.
Allow to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes, then store in an airtight container for up to a week.